Thursday 9 May 2013

Share A Creative Life - Parnuuna



Well folks it's time to find out a little about my first guest in my Share A Creative Life Series. 

Welcome to Parnuuna from BeMyGoth; can you tell us a little about yourself and where you are from?
My name is Parnuuna, and I am originally from Greenland. Now I live in Northern Denmark, in a city called Aalborg. I moved here because I wanted to study music at the university in 2006. But after a couple of years, where I sewed instead of doing my homework, I decided I should change course and apply for a designer/pattern cutter/tailoring school. Which I did in 2009. And since then it’s been all about sewing.
 
What is your main creative outlet?
My main creative outlet is sewing – definitely sewing. Well, designing, drafting the pattern and sewing.
I’ve been creative with many different things all my life such as drawing/painting, music and drama, but I ended up getting good at sewing.

How did you get into being creative?
I’ve been creative since forever – I don’t remember a moment of my life where I didn’t do any creative work of some sort.
I’ve drawn since I was a small kid.  My uncle saw that I was interested in drawing, and started tutoring me in art drawing for a year when I was young. Then I started playing music – guitar and piano, which kept my interest until 2009. All the while I’ve been knitting, crocheting, doing beadwork and sewing.

I sewed my first dress – a medieval inspired dress – by hand, because you couldn’t get any medieval types of dresses in Greenland. My family saw that I enjoyed sewing and gave me my grandmother’s old hand swung Husqvarna sewing machine from 1956.
After that it sort of escalating, and at one time I ended up with 4-5 different sewing machines from people who didn’t use them.

Who is your biggest inspiration?
 I don’t think I have one person that is my inspiration – it is more like all creative people that inspire me. I am most inspired when I am around other creative people.
I suppose my first inspirations were my grandmothers – both on my mother’s and father’s side, because they taught me the first things in knitting and beadwork.
I enjoy reading about people who succeed in living off of their passion – those people inspire me very much – because I want to live off of my passion as well.

Where do you do your making? what is your workspace like?
I do all my stuff at home – We’ve made our livingroom into a sewingstudio. My poor husband only has a little corner of one of the tables and that’s it.
It’s the biggest room in our apartment, and it’s suitable for now – but I do take up a lot of space, so it would be nice if we had a bigger place. Sometime in the near future, I hope. ;)


Is your creative outlet your hobby or part of your business?
I’m trying to make my hobby into my work, so to speak. After I graduated from the sewing school, I enjoy designing and making patterns. And I really enjoy sharing my passion and my knowledge with people, so that is what I am trying to do.
I have a website where I make tutorials on all sorts of creative things, mostly sewing stuff, and I have PDF patterns of my own designs for sale there as well.
I also want to do video sewing courses and tips and tricks, but I need to learn to be in front of a camera first.
Hopefully I’ll be able to make a living off of my patterns in the near future – I’ve just started taking it seriously now, so I do have to put in some ground work.

What challenges would you like to set yourself?
I would like to be self employed by the end of summer! I think that’s a major one, so I should opt for more than that for now. :D

Tell us 5 things that would be on your bucket list.
Hmm…
1.     Travel to a country and learn their language – Switzerland, France or Germany or Brazil. Maybe more than one. :D
2.     Learn to cook at least 42 decent meals.
3.     Knit a sweater.
4.     Write a book.
5.     Get decendants.

Can you share 3 inspirational blogs that you would recommend?
Yes!
1.     www.ralphpink.com an independent designer, who shares an awful lot! I use this guys method to make my patterns in illustrator, albeit with a different drafting system.
2.     www.tillyandthebuttons.com  - also and independent designer, who shares a lot! I like reading her blog. And she’s good at launching her patterns!
3.     www.sewaholic.net - also and independent designer, who likes to share. She sells real patterns and does sew-alongs.
All of these people, sell patterns, and that’s exactly what I want to be doing.

Finally...

Tea or Coffee? Both – depending on the situation.
J
Chocolate or sweets? It used to be sweets, but my husband taught me to love chocolate… so both again. :D
Vintage or modern? Vintage – definitely vintage.
TV or Radio/music? Music – I don’t own a TV.
Favourite TV/Radio show? Hmm… I don’t think I have any. I like to stream fantasy/adventure  or drama tv-series like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Ugly Betty, PanAm and such… But I don’t think I have a favorite.
Favourite Artist/ designer? None… I like everyone! :D
Favourite colour? Black, dark red, green, yellow, grey… uhm, I think I like most colours – depending on the thing that is coloured.

Wauw! It’s been a while since I’ve been asked so many questions at once! It got my brain working, so now it’s time for a nap. J
It was very nice to meet you, I hope to talk to you again.

Oh, by the way – if you want to see my hideout on the internet it’s here: www.BeMyGoth.com
And I do hang out at all the good social places too. Just search for BeMyGoth and you’ll find me.

Kisses - Parnuuna

Thank you Parnuuna for sharing at ragbags and gladrags - I hope you are able to achieve your dreams and we look forward to seeing how you get on with the pattern making. I'm looking forward to trying out your pencil skirt pattern very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...