Saturday 12 January 2013

Vintage Simplicity 9970

Or is it?

I was given this pattern by my mother-in-law. She'd found a bunch of patterns going cheap and bought them for me. Out of the lot This was the one that had most appeal. It's a simple shift dress with three different neckline and sleeve choices. However I can't seem to find reference to this pattern anywhere! Do a search and not one image comes up for this one, well I suppose it is a 1972 pattern and I can well imagine most people wanting to get rid of anything from 1972. However, it's a gem, a lovely pattern. It's single size 14 - I am not a 14, but with a little bit of alteration...

I decided that I'd have a go at making a dress based on this pattern with some fabric that I got from a charity shop for £2. However I wanted to change the neckline somewhat.





I saw this dress, worn by Nigella in her last series and really liked the collar detail. So I decided to draft a new neckline and collar and add contrast cuffs as well. The dress is longer than it appears on the pattern envelope and even after shortening it's still a bit longer. I've also kept the more A line skirt shape as I know it suits me and it's easier for work.
I measured the pattern pieces and made alterations to the sizing, the hips were fine as i'm a pear shape, but I removed 1cm off each side seam (4cm) total, and increased the waist dart widths by 1cm each side, tapering to the original dart at the hip and in a bit at the bust. the bust dart was OK.
I traced the pattern pieces and made a new neckline and with the help of my pattern book. I drafted the collar.

It's taken me quite a while to make the dress, mainly because I decided part way through making that I needed a lining, and the time it took to make the alterations to the pattern. I didn't really follow the pattern instructions as I've made a few dresses now. I am quite proud of the collar, it rolls nicely and sits well. I think I will catch it to the dress at the back as it gets caught up when i put my jacket on.

5 comments:

  1. Looks lovely. You are very talented to be able to take an idea and make it you own. I suspect that you will be publishing your own patterns before long :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one clever lady. I've made garments in the past but would find it challenging to alter the pattern. It looks very professional, worth taking the time over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You dress is wonderful and fit for Nigella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely, the neckline suits you and looks great with your hairstyle. I always think you are very brave to alter a pattern so much but it's great that it gives you something really original and 'your own'.

    Have a great week

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress!! Love the style.

    Visiting via Adorned From Above Link Party.

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    Exercise Encouragement Group Blog

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...