Tuesday 23 August 2011

I'm Back


Well folks - Finally I'm back! I've been away for 4 weeks and it's been amazing. I spent my Birthday in Hong Kong and had tea at the amazing Khyber Pass, in Chunking Mansions. Shopped at the night markets, got very hot, ate noodles (lots of). I also met up with a team of people from all over the world who had given some of their valuable time to come and volunteer with International China Concern.

So after a couple of days in Hong Kong, we headed up into mainland China. Taking the fast train (300kmph) to Hunan province. We worked with about 120 children and young people with various disabilities and needs, singing, doing crafts and swimming. A holiday club in style. for some of the children it was the first time they'd been swimming,

it's a truly humbling experience to see how loving these children are, and how much love they need.
International China Concern are working with the authorities to help improve conditions for these children; train carers and therapists; enable independent living in community and give support to families to help prevent children being abandoned.

It's been a privileged to work alongside the Chinese and expat staff. they work so hard to make a difference, but there is still so much to do.

In a few weeks I'll be taking part in Walk the Wall. A worldwide fundraising event for International China Concern. Find out more here. I'd be very grateful if anyone would like to sponsor me for this event. Or get involved - there are walks all over the world. check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...