Wednesday 13 July 2011

TR Dess Part 1

I've become a little obsessed with the Transformation Reconstruction method of pattern designing. and have spent hours looking at videos on you tube documenting different techniques.


I thought I would have a go at a ribbon dress. I used the coffee date dress pattern from the burda website as a basic template. and made a muslin.

I then cut into the skirt and added sections to part of the skirt to create fullness. Being rather slapdash and rather impatient I stuck these in using sellotape.

Then I traced the line of the ribbon.- apparently you need to hit 3 dart points to ensure the pieces will be flat. - this did seem to work.

I adjusted this line and blocked the area with cross hatching to ensure I didn't get the pieces mixed up. The checked the line and adjusted where necessary, adding  notch marks to aid matching when reconstructing. then I cut carefully along the line.



That's it so far. I don't always make a muslin, but for this I will make a second one. I need to know that it will work before investing in some nice fabric - as it is rather heavy on the amount needed. Keep checking back and i'll update you as I go along. Hopefully it will work and look good.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to Part 2 even though I have no idea what transformation reconstruction means

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline - take a look at this you tube vid - should give you a good idea how it works - this is where I got my inspiration.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GdAKwPYyr0

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...