Tuesday 24 May 2011

From shirt...

After several days considering what I was going to make from this shirt, I decided on an A Line skirt. I normally just make it up as I go along, but often find the clothes don't fit properly. This time I was determined to do it right, so I used Sew-Mad's tutorial on drafting an A line skirt. It's an excellent tutorial and very easy to follow. I just used newspaper, a long ruler and sharpie pen to construct the pattern pieces.


I pressed the shirt open after removing the sleeves and cutting along the shoulder seams. As this was a XXL shirt, there was plenty of fabric to work with.


 










Sleeves removed and cut along shoulder seams
 I carefully cut the skirt front and back pieces, marking the darts with a pin. I also cut a facing in the same fabric. The lining was new curtain lining, saved from when I shortened some ready made curtains that my Mother in law had given me.

Skirt pieces and lining
 I've made enough skirts to know how to construct the pieces. I neatened all edges that would be left open and stitched the darts and seams. I did this with the lining first to check the fit, then did the skirt outer.


I sewed the skirt and lining together at the waist, clipped the seam, pressed and top stitched the waist. I reclaimed a concealed zip from an old skirt. I hand stitched this in place as I don't have a zipper foot for my machine. Turned the right way around and pressed.

Almost there...
After turning a small hem on the skirt I made the hem on the lining about 4 cm shorter, so that it would not show beneath the skirt.... so now it's complete, next post will be finished skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...