Sunday 11 October 2015

Handbags at Dawn

or Purses Galore.
Isn't this fabric brilliant? My Friend Alli bought me 2m of it for my birthday. I had been keeping an eye our for a suitable pattern and knew I'd found it when I saw this loose fitting shift dress from the September issue of Burdastyle Magazine.


I had just enough fabric to make the dress, but not enough to match the pattern really mwell, but I still think it works. I originally made it with pockets, but the first time I wore it I caught the pocket on a door handle and ripped it a little. So I sewed them up. I still think it looks good.


The Fabric is a quilting weight cotton from The Sewing Box in Morpeth. They've recently got a website check it out here.


I made the dress up in a size 36. I'm normally a 38, but the design is quite loose fitting and I didn't want it too baggy. I still ended up taking in the princess seams between the bust and the hip and increasing the back darts to give more shaping. I let out the side seams under the arms by 1/2cm and dropped the armhole by 1cm. I did this simple to allow for the wearing of a jumper or long sleeved tee in the cooler months. the fit was ok without this adjustment, but I would only have been able to wear with a cardy the whole winter.


I would recommend this pattern and fabric and I have had loads of positive comments about both the style and fabric. It does look a bit creased, but you can probably tell by the light that these photos were taken at the end of the day. On another note I'm still growing out my shaved head. My hair sticks up everywhere! Does anyone have any styling tips?







3 comments:

  1. It's funny how things go in and out of fashion. We wore shift dresses many moons ago. Now they're back in. I think they're a great style - practical and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they ever really go out of style. It just depends what style of shift dresses is most "in"

      Delete
  2. visiting from Threading my way. This is amazing. Love the material and the cardy matches so well. Very stylish

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...