Wednesday 29 May 2013

Share A Creative life - Rin from Sew in Love


Welcome to Rin from Sew in Love. I recently discovered her blog and she's kindly agreed to share a little about her creative journey with us.
Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Rin and I have a crafty blog called Sew in Love. I was born in Japan, to a Japanese mum and Indonesian Dad. I grew up in Australia, and now I live in San Francisco with my Australian husband! You just never know where life takes you.
What is your main creative outlet?
Oooh so many. If I have to choose, it’s a tie between making things and playing / writing music.
How did you get into being creative?
Since I was a little girl in Japan, I dabbled in drawing, playing piano, calligraphy, painting....just to name a few. I think I started sewing in pre-school!
Who is your biggest inspiration?
My Mum and my Grandma continue to inspire me to create things. My Grandma is a professional tailor and she still makes beautiful garments in her shop in rural Japan. My Mum is just talented at everything she tries to make (like this blue dress from a vintage kimono), so she comes to the rescue whenever my crafty adventures go wrong...
Where do you do your making? what is your workspace like?
We recently moved to San Francisco into a studio apartment. I use the dining table as my office and sewing table. This is a big change from having an entire bedroom dedicated to my hobbies back in Australia! I’m really enjoying living with less; it’s amazing how much “stuff” you don’t need, even to enjoy a hobby like sewing.

Is your creative outlet your hobby or part of your business?
I enjoy lots of creative pursuits, and my sewing and knitting projects have evolved into the blog, Sew in Love. The blog is one of several online projects I am currently working on during my break from corporate life. Sew in Love will soon have an e-book for sale, “How to Sew Japanese Sewing Patterns”. Stay tuned! You can download a Japanese to Western clothing size conversion chart here and keep in the loop for the upcoming e-book.
What are you most proud of making?
Currently, I am very proud of a room divider curtain I sewed for our studio apartment. It’s a noren, which is a traditional Japanese door curtain. In our home, it separates the dining room from the living room, which means my husband and I don’t have to be in each other’s faces constantly! The apartment would seriously not be the same without it.
Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to make a noren room divider curtain. It’s very easy and you can make one to suit your decor.









What challenges would you like to set yourself?
I’d like to strive towards living with less. I’m trying to practice the “one in / one out” rule for my wardrobe, which means I can’t make or buy a garment unless I donate something I already own. I am also trying to minimise fabric waste and buying second hand items whenever I can.
Tell us 5 things that would be on your bucket list.
1. Learn to speak Spanish fluently
2. Live in Japan again
3. Go to Yellowstone National Park
4. Travel around Australia in a campervan
5. Eat solely from my own permaculture veggie garden
Can you share 3 inspirational blogs that you would recommend?
Disney and her beautiful daughter Paige make gorgeous things. And I don’t know, this blog just makes me happy...
Jeyco is a tailor so everything she makes it wonderfully fitted and advanced. I could never have her skill (or patience) but she inspires me to cut my fabric more straight!
Project 333 is a challenge to only have 33 items in your wardrobe for 3 months. It’s a great way to get a taste of a more simple life.
Finally...
Tea or Coffee?
Both. Tea for enjoyment, coffee out of desperation.


Chocolate or sweets?
Chocolate. But only if it’s good quality dark chocolate.


Vintage or modern?
Vintage, absolutely! My wedding dress was vintage and so was many of the furniture and decor. My DIY vintage wedding was a lot of fun to organise.



TV or Radio/music?
Radio. I haven’t watched TV for a long time. Oh hang on, we haven’t owned one for two years!


Favourite TV/Radio show?
Triple J is an Australian independent radio station that helps me keep up to date with home (and helps me keep my Aussie accent). I also listen to Freakonomics Radio.


Favourite Artist/ designer?
I don’t really have one. I think I just like vintage (i.e. old) stuff!


Favourite colour?
Yellow.

Thank you so much for sharing about your creativity. I'm looking forward to following more of what you create on your blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...