Saturday 22 September 2012

Relief




Today was the day of Keridwen & Rhydian's wedding. I took on the task of making both of their wedding outfits - and boy it was a task!

It started way back in March when I agreed to make Keri's dress, a little later Rhydian asked if I'd consider making his suit. It was not something I'd ever done before, I'd never even sewn a jacket for myself and had no idea about tailoring.
So, since the end of July I have been pretty much concentrating on getting this done for their wedding day today. I've loved doing it, but boy am I relieved that they're finished and look soooooo amazing.

I drafted the pattern for the coat and the dress myself and the trousers were based on some mens shorts from one of this year's Burda magazines.

Keri's dress was slightly medieval in style, princess seamed bodice with a basque waist and sweetheart neckline, flared sleeves, and an A line skirt, lengthening at the back. The back had an insert of bright purple silk taffeta, which was echoed in the details on Rhydian's coat.

The dress was made from Silk Dupion, interlined and lined with cotton. The neck and sleeve edge were trimmed with lace from her grandmother, and a celtic knotwork band accentuated the waist.
This type of trim is especially difficult to get ready made in the UK and was made to order by Lindsay Fleming It really sets of the dress's simple design.

Rhydian's coat was drafted using my very basic pattern drafting knowledge. Rhydian wanted a design that brought together several elements from different historical designs. It was the first time I had ever tackled a lined coat of any description. The back was longer than the double breasted front and had 3 inverted pleats in contrasting satin. The coat had a standing collar and Russia braid (stouache) trim.
The coat was drafted about 5 times in order to get the style and fit right, then made up in a dark green fulled wool. I'd never worked with this type of wool and found it very well behaved and surprisingly easy to work with - if a little thick at times (my machine had no problems coping with it - which had been one of my concerns).


The coat was lined in the same satin that provided the contrast on the back pleats and the same fabric was used for the facings and pockets in the trousers. The trousers were the easiest piece of the whole ensemble to make, the pattern needed lengthening and tapering on the legs, and I graded the pattern down a size as the smallest size printed would have been too big. I haven't made trousers for about 20 years, and was surprised how easy they were. I now plan to make myself some trousers.

Anyway they both looked amazing, The wedding was unique - Vikings on the door, a range of celtic music during the signing of the register, played by a couple of the bride and groom's friends. The Pearl of Africa Children's choir from Uganda also sang. They are doing a range of concerts in the area at the moment and had agreed to sing at the wedding.




14 comments:

  1. Wow - you did really well, very impressive! Lovely photos too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, it's hard to believe that you havn't made a jacket before. Brilliant work. The couple look very happy and all your hard work has certainly paid off. I bet you got loads of compliments for both outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done so different and the bride looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! On both counts- the flash of purple in the back of the dress is beautiful, and the jacket is absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done an excellent job on this and I hope that you have gained a lot of satisfaction from it. The detail is perfect and really makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Both outfits are fantastic. I love the back of the dress, but I think the groom's outfit is really impressive. You should be really proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning. I love the detail on the jacket and her dress is beautiful. Well done you - time to relax now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! You must be delighted to have contributed so much to their special day

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what amazing outfits. They both look stunning. The brides dress is beautiful. I like how you used the purple at the back. Have a lovely week.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow they both look amazing! what a wonderful project to work on, well done for executing it so well! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are stunning outfits!I love the purple in the back of the dress and the groom's tunic is gorgeous.They're fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's quite some achievement! I'm impressed

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have done a great job on both outfits ! They do look great - it must have been lovely for the couple to know, that they have something really special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. They are both incredible. You are clearly very very talented

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...