Wednesday 25 May 2011

Which Sewing Machine?

I have a rather significant birthday this year and have decided that I'd really like a new machine. I need this to be a machine that will last me years and years. I've never bought a sewing machine before, but used many. As a teenager I used my mum's New Home machine; when I became a student my mother in law bought me a second hand Jones machine - which I had till just a few months ago; and a friend gave me an old Toyota basic machine - which works fine, but doesn't have all the functionality I need.

As a teacher of art and textiles I used Bernina machines and found them great. I now have a good understanding of fixing simple problems with a machine after doing this as part of my job. - however I digress! What to buy? Let me give you an idea of what I need my machine to do, and if you can offer any recommendations as to what is a worthwhile buy:
  • A good selection of stitches, including an overcast stitch
  • 3-5 needle positions
  • Drop feed to allow for freehand embroidery
  • Variable stitch length and width
  • Single step buttonhole
  • Able to handle heavier fabrics
  • Stretch fabric settings
  • Free arm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...